Thanksgiving Day is one of those joyous events we celebrate with lots of love and gratitude. Thanksgiving offers each of us the chance to count our many blessings — among them, the freedoms we enjoy, the time we spend with loved ones, the brave men and women who defend our nation, and life itself. As a nation, we have come a long way since that first Thanksgiving 393 years ago, and as a company, The Barnowski Financial Group has enjoyed many blessings over the years with the support of our staff and our many loyal clients. We truly have much to be grateful for this Thanksgiving.
Notable Thanksgiving factoids:
- Thanksgiving Day is celebrated on the fourth Thursday in November in the United States.
- The pilgrims arrived in North America in December 1620 after crossing the Atlantic ocean on a ship call the “Mayflower”
- By the fall of 1621 only half of the pilgrims, who had sailed on the Mayflower survived. The survivors, thankful to be alive, decided to give a thanksgiving feast. The Plymouth Pilgrims were the first to celebrate the Thanksgiving in the fall of 1621.
- The first Thanksgiving was celebrated at Plymouth Massachusetts.
- The drink that the Pilgrims brought with them on the Mayflower was beer.
- The Wampanoag Indians were the people who taught the Pilgrims how to cultivateland.
- The Pilgrim leader, Governor William Bradford, who organized the first Thanksgiving feast, invited the neighboring Wampanoag Indians of which about 90 attended including their chief Massasoit.
- The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted 3 days.
- President George Washington issued the first national Thanksgiving Day proclamation in the year 1789 and again in 1795.
- The state of New York made Thanksgiving Day an annual custom in 1817
From all of us at The Barnowski Financial Group, we extend our gratitude for the privilege of working with you or simply being connected with you via our extensive digital network and wish you and your family a truly blessed Thanksgiving.